Won’t you want to scream out of frustration if you see chewing gum stuck to your favorite rug? Especially if there are kids at home, such mishaps are bound to happen. But there are ways you can deal with such a challenging task. So, if you are thinking about how to remove gum from a rug, here are some tips.
There a three ways you can use to remove chewing gum from the rug. Read on to find out and decide which method you will try.
Surely, you might have some ice cubes in your freezer! That’s your main ingredient to carry out this method to remove chewing gum from rug. Follow these simple steps.
- Put some ice in a sealable plastic bag.
- Now, keep this bag on the gum. Let it sit for a bit. This will harden the chewing gum.
- Use a butter knife or spoon to scrape the gum off your rug.
- If it has left any stain, then take a soft and clean cloth, dip it in a soapy solution and rub it clean.
- Dip the cloth in clean water and remove the soap.
- Pat dry the area with a towel.
- Vacuum the area to bring it back to its normal texture
Or you can go for an easy way out and look for a company that offers rug cleaning in Gainesville FL.
Use your hairdryer
A hairdryer is available in every household, and surprisingly, it can help remove chewing gum from rug. Here are the steps that you need to follow.
- As soon as you spot a chewing gum stuck to your rug, get your hairdryer and aim it onto the gum.
- Ensure that you are heating the gum alone and are not too close to the carpet, as the heat can also damage the fibers. But if you doubt this method may damage your rug, then search for “rug cleaning near me” to find the experts.
- Once heated, the chewing gum would begin to melt. Have a plastic bag handy and press it on the gum.
- The melted gum would easily stick to the plastic bag and come off.
- Continue this process till the gum disappears.
- Clean it with a cloth and soapy water if there are any remaining stains.
- Vacuum the area to finish the process.
Use WD-40 Degreaser
If you have WD-40 at home, you may use it to remove chewing gum from rug. This is quite a straightforward and quick way to clean a wool rug if you get gum on it.
- Spray a generous amount of WD-40 degreaser onto the chewing gum.
- Let the liquid sit on the gum for a while.
- Take a fingernail brush and scrub the gum off the rug.
- Just don’t scrub too hard, or you may damage your carpet.
- As you scrub, keep spraying the degreaser.
- Once done, clean the area with a cloth and warm water.
If you are still not sure of how to clean your rug, and feel that you might end up damaging it or unable to get rid of the stains despite trying all these methods, it would be best to find wool rug cleaning services in your area.